I'm Stuck, help?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

I'm Stuck, help?

I asked a question on here earlier about what branch I should join, and since then, I have noticed I have been trying to convince myself out of the Marine Reserves idea to go into the Air Guard. I don't really want to be in the Air Force (nothing against them) But, absentmindedly I keep trying to change my mind about the Marines. I went to the Air Guard base the other day to get my husband a patch for his uniform (they carry Army stuff) and I was trying to get myself to like the Air Force. but I just wouldn't be as proud in the Air Force and I don't feel as if I belong there. I keep thinking about when I would get my uniforms and I would not be as proud to get the ABU as the Marines uniform. again nothing against the Air Force, I have nothing but respect for them. I just don't think I would fit there.

The only reasons I am thinking Air Guard is I would feel guilty about going Marines because they deploy for much longer that the Air Force, and the Air force can go places like Germany and other places for deployments. i love to travel and see other places.

My husband is in the Army National Guard and if he gets deployed again, it will be for a year. But we don't have to worry about that for like 5 more years. What is the Marine Deployment Schedule like? I don't want to be away from my Daughter and Husband all the time, but I really want this.

The reasons I don't really want Air Force is because the Marines are better trained, and If I go through ANY boot camp, i want the best I can get. Another reason is they have more interesting MOS's. I don't want to be at a computer all day, which is the bulk of the Air Force's jobs that are open to females. The ones that aren't in the AC all day are not accepting people at this time.

I don't really know what I'm asking here. I guess just some information about the Marine Reserves Deployments, how long are they, and how often the usually are. I now alot depends on the unit and MOS, but in general.

I am looking for an experience. Is the Marine Corps fun? I don't mean fun as in games, I mean fun as in it's the worst and best thing ever.

I don't know. Everytime I try to get my mind set on Air Force, I just can't see myself being happy there. I just don't know what I want I guess.

Some Marines deploy longer than airmen, some airmen deploy longer than Marines.

The problem is that with almost everything in the military the answer is "it depends". It depends on your MOS, your unit, your position within that unit and a number of other factors.

And just to cockblock the haters before they come in here: don't let anyone tell you that trying to decide between branches means you shouldn't choose the Marine Corps.

why Marine if Husband is Army?

Not a good move if you ask me. We have completely different duty stations. Seems to me it would be difficult to get co-located. A serious consideration if you ask me...

Credits
    Savings
    @ FattytheFerret

I think you are the only person that has said that, including your message. Everyone else tells me to forget the Marine Corps if I have trouble choosing it. Not that I will listen to them (=

@ Gungygal48

I'm talking about Reserves and Guard.

Well, according to your profile, you're only 18. In your original post, you said you're married and you have a daughter.
    In my opinion, be a wife to your husband and mother to your daughter first. The Marine Corps, or whatever branch you choose to go in, will always be there.
    And besides, if you do choose the Marine Corps, who's going to raise your daughter for 3 months while you're at boot camp; the month you're at MCT and however long your MOS school is? There's at least 5-6 months right there.

Credits
    Savings
    My husband would. He isn't due for a deployment for 5 more years. Plus my Mamaw and Papaw and my mother in law is ALWAYS up for taking care of her. She has a BIG family, and alot of people to love her, which is how I think it should be (I come from a family where the parents are not the sole caregivers of a child, every in the family pitches in)

In the financial state we are in we need to do something and I think the Military would benefit us ALOT. The career my husband wants to go to school for is nursing, so there would not be any of his GI bill left for me to use (I'm wanting to be in law enforcement, and be in the K9 Unit at some point. My local police department said that a associates degree in Criminal Justice would help ALOT). Plus after being enlisted in whatever I choose, I plan to go officer, so thats more money a month right there.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marynicole831 View Post
    My husband would. He isn't due for a deployment for 5 more years. Plus my Mamaw and Papaw and my mother in law is ALWAYS up for taking care of her. She has a BIG family, and alot of people to love her, which is how I think it should be (I come from a family where the parents are not the sole caregivers of a child, every in the family pitches in)

In the financial state we are in we need to do something and I think the Military would benefit us ALOT. The career my husband wants to go to school for is nursing, so there would not be any of his GI bill left for me to use (I'm wanting to be in law enforcement, and be in the K9 Unit at some point. My local police department said that a associates degree in Criminal Justice would help ALOT). Plus after being enlisted in whatever I choose, I plan to go officer, so thats more money a month right there.

Also, Just because I started a family young doesn't mean I couldn't juggle both lives. My husband does it.

And he has 4 years left on his contract. No one in his unit thinks they will be deployed again before that.

Do what is right for you and your family because that's all that truly matters. I would choose which ever one would let me spend as much time with my family be it Marines or Air Force.
    If you think the Air Force is not what you want then go Marines, but you might be missing your child growing up which is WAY more important than a job.

For more up-to-date info on dependents, check with a recruiter.

US Military Enlistment Standards
    Dependents

The military has regulations that actually *REQUIRE* you to provide adequate financial support for your dependents. Because of this, the military limits the number of dependents an applicant can have. Those who exceed the stated number of dependents require a waiver. Before a dependency waiver is granted for any of the services, the recruiting service will conduct a financial eligibility determination (i.e., they will look closely at your household bills and the income of your spouse).

Navy: The Navy requires a waiver for any applicant with more than one dependent (including the spouse).
    • Marine Corps: In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent under the age of 18.
    • Air Force: The Air Force will do a financial eligibility determination if the member has any dependents at all.
    • Army: The Army requires a waiver if the applicant has two or more dependents (in addition to the spouse).
    • Coast Guard: The Coast Guard requires a waiver if there is more than one dependent (other than spouse), unless the applicant is enlisting in the grade of E-4 or above, when the limit is two dependents (other than spouse).
    Who is a Dependent?

For enlistment purposes, a "dependent" is defined as:

a. A spouse, to include a common law spouse if the state recognizes such; or

b. Any natural child (legitimate or illegitimate) or child adopted by the applicant, if the child is under 18 years of age and unmarried, regardless of whether or not the applicant has custody of the child. The term natural child includes any illegitimate child when: the applicant claims the child as theirs, or the applicant's name is listed on the birth certificate as the parent, or a court order establishes paternity; or if any person makes an allegation of paternity that has not been finally adjudicated by a court; or

c. A stepchild of the applicant who resides with the applicant if the stepchild is under 18 years of age; or

d. Any parent or other person(s) who is/are, in fact, dependent on the applicant for more than one-half of their support.

When a Spouse is not Considered a Dependent

In general, for enlistment purposes, an applicant is considered to be without a spouse (unmarried), if:

a. Common law marriage has not been recognized by a civil court, or state law.

b. Spouse incarcerated.

c. Spouse deceased.

d. Spouse has deserted the applicant.

e. Spouse legally separated from the applicant. (For the Army, separation by "mutual consent" is sufficient.)

f. Applicant or spouse has filed for divorce. (Note: If the divorce action is "contested," the service may deny enlistment until after the dispute is resolved in family court).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/enldep.htm

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    For more up-to-date info on dependents, check with a recruiter.

US Military Enlistment Standards
    Dependents

The military has regulations that actually *REQUIRE* you to provide adequate financial support for your dependents. Because of this, the military limits the number of dependents an applicant can have. Those who exceed the stated number of dependents require a waiver. Before a dependency waiver is granted for any of the services, the recruiting service will conduct a financial eligibility determination (i.e., they will look closely at your household bills and the income of your spouse).

Navy: The Navy requires a waiver for any applicant with more than one dependent (including the spouse).
    • Marine Corps: In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent under the age of 18.
    • Air Force: The Air Force will do a financial eligibility determination if the member has any dependents at all.
    • Army: The Army requires a waiver if the applicant has two or more dependents (in addition to the spouse).
    • Coast Guard: The Coast Guard requires a waiver if there is more than one dependent (other than spouse), unless the applicant is enlisting in the grade of E-4 or above, when the limit is two dependents (other than spouse).
    Who is a Dependent?

For enlistment purposes, a "dependent" is defined as:

a. A spouse, to include a common law spouse if the state recognizes such; or

b. Any natural child (legitimate or illegitimate) or child adopted by the applicant, if the child is under 18 years of age and unmarried, regardless of whether or not the applicant has custody of the child. The term natural child includes any illegitimate child when: the applicant claims the child as theirs, or the applicant's name is listed on the birth certificate as the parent, or a court order establishes paternity; or if any person makes an allegation of paternity that has not been finally adjudicated by a court; or

c. A stepchild of the applicant who resides with the applicant if the stepchild is under 18 years of age; or

d. Any parent or other person(s) who is/are, in fact, dependent on the applicant for more than one-half of their support.

When a Spouse is not Considered a Dependent

In general, for enlistment purposes, an applicant is considered to be without a spouse (unmarried), if:

a. Common law marriage has not been recognized by a civil court, or state law.

b. Spouse incarcerated.

c. Spouse deceased.

d. Spouse has deserted the applicant.

e. Spouse legally separated from the applicant. (For the Army, separation by "mutual consent" is sufficient.)

f. Applicant or spouse has filed for divorce. (Note: If the divorce action is "contested," the service may deny enlistment until after the dispute is resolved in family court).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/enldep.htm

Thanks for the info (=

Thread Information